Drs. Fosters & Smith Products Recalled Due to Rice Protein

Another pet food maker — Drs. Fosters & Smith — is issuing a recall due to the use of Wilbur-Ellis rice protein (scroll down their page to view the notice).

The recalled products are:

• Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Dog Food
  • Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Cat Food

Oddly, the manufacturer says they received the recall advice today from Wilbur-Ellis, not last week as we have heard.

Rice protein concentrate has been indicated as a possible source of melamine recently found in pet food products. As a precautionary measure Wilbur-Ellis company, the supplier of rice protein concentrate, is voluntarily recalling all lots of rice protein concentrate. We received notification from the manufacturer today, April 25, 2007, suggesting we issue a precautionary recall.

Full recall notice after the jump.

(Thanks Patti)

Precautionary Rice Protein Recall: Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Dog and Adult Dry Lite Cat Food

Two of our products: Adult Lite Dry Dog (Item #’s 14178, 14179, 14180, 14262, 14263) and Adult Lite Dry Cat foods (Item #’s 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865) contain rice protein concentrate. Only the Adult Lite Dry Dog and Adult Lite Dry Cat foods contain rice protein concentrate.

Preliminary test results for melamine contamination have been negative. Final test results from the FDA are expected within two weeks. Please check the Adult Lite Dry Dog food or the Adult Lite Dry Cat food product pages on the DrsFosterSmith.com website for any updates.

If your pet has consumed either the Adult Lite Dry Dog food or the Adult Lite Dry Cat food and shows signs of illness (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting), you should consult with your veterinarian immediately.

As part of this precautionary recall Drs. Foster & Smith requests that customers discontinue feeding the following products purchased during the periods listed, until all FDA testing is complete:

• Adult Lite Dry Dog food item numbers 14180, 14262, 14263, or Adult Lite Dry Cat food item numbers 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865 purchased between January 22, 2007 and April 19th
  • Adult Lite Dry Dog food item numbers 14178 and 14179 purchased between February 2, 2007 and April 19, 2007
  • Only Adult Lite Dry Dog (Item #’s 14178, 14179, 14180, 14262, 14263) and Adult Dry Lite Cat foods (Item #’s 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865) are included in this precautionary recall.

The health and well being of your pet is always important to us, so as part of this precautionary recall:

• Drs. Foster & Smith is contacting all customers who have purchased these items during this period.
  • These products are being reformulated to eliminate rice protein concentrate. The new formulation should be available by mid-May.
  • Please call Customer Service at 1-800-239-7121 between 9:00 am and 7:00 pm CST or email CustomerService@DrsFosterSmith.com if you have questions.
  • None of our other Drs. Foster & Smith foods contain the ingredients in question.

255 Responses to “Drs. Fosters & Smith Products Recalled Due to Rice Protein”

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Show All

When does the full fledge criminal corruption investigation begin?

2. Cathleen says:

Well, they’ve just lost a customer. What deceit! I just emailed them to let the know. How despicable to keep quiet for a week then pretend they just found out. I love how they start the recall notice out with how they’re not involved in the wheat gluten recall. Who the heck cares? This is equally horrific (if not worse, considering how long they kept quiet). What is wrong with these people?

3. Cathleen says:

Oops, should have added — When I referred to how they start the recall notice with how they’re not involved in the wheat gluten recall, I was referring to the web page (linked in Itchmo’s post), where they put the rice recall *below* their assurance about not being involved with the wheat recall. Wonder who reads the beginning and doesn’t even scroll down to the rice part.

“What is wrong with these people?”

they must think we only have 1 brain cell and no internet.

They going to get that out on the wires or wait till Friday Night?

Google News Search
    “Drs. Foster & Smith Pet Food Products - did not match any documents.”

6. Kiki says:

Don’t they know what is in their own damn product? Why wait to get a phone call from their manufacturer? They should have been on the phone with those people the minute other grain proteins were implicated. If they don’t know where their ingredients come from, then God help us…these people deserve to rot in hell.

7. MARRY ANN says:

This is sick.

8. 4lgdfriend says:

cya all the way to the bank just like the others. same game same players.
    and same losers. pets.

9. Kiki says:

Just one more piece of evidence to prove that these pet food companies DO NOT give a @#$% about pets. They ONLY care about their bottom line.

10. Laurie says:

I wish we could send a message and all buy from just a few companies that we think deserve our money.

-Natura (Innova)
    -Merrick?
    -who else?

We could start a campaign and let our dollars do the talking. Money is the only way to get anything across to these people.

11. Laurie says:

And I am being serious. We could send out a press release. It could work!

12. Kiki says:

Uhmm Laurie,

Merrick and NaturaPet use 4D & rendered animal parts. They are off my short list after speaking with them. Merrick has a rendering plant in the pet food manufacturing plant and the motto is “we use everything but the moo”…

My short list is Honest Kitchen and Fromm’s dry (not wet).

13. MARRY ANN says:

i’m useing -natura -cal.natural they love it

an Francisco -

SAN FRANCISCO — Contact section of release (dated April 18, 2007 at 9:33 PM PDT/ April 19, 2007 at 12:33 AM EDT) should read: For Wilbur-Ellis, Ann Barlow, 415-438-9826 (Media), abarlow@peppercom.com or Wilbur-Ellis Company, For Consumers: 877-217-6993 (sted Ann Barlow for Wilbur-Ellis 415-438-9826 or 925-200-6539, abarlow@peppercom.com or Deborah Brown for Wilbur-Ellis, 212-931-6113, dbrown@peppercom.com).

The corrected release reads:

WILBUR-ELLIS VOLUNTARILY RECALLS RICE PROTEIN CONCENTRATE

Wilbur-Ellis Company is voluntarily recalling all lots of the rice protein concentrate the San Francisco company’s Feed Division has shipped to pet-food manufacturers because of a risk that rice protein concentrate may have been contaminated by melamine, an industrial chemical used to make plastics and fertilizers that can lead to illness or fatalities in animals if consumed.

Wilbur-Ellis noted that it obtained rice protein from a single source in China and shipped to a total of five U.S. pet-food manufacturers located in Utah, N.Y., Kansas and two in Missouri.

Last Sunday, April 15, Wilbur-Ellis notified the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that a single bag in a recent shipment of rice protein concentrate from its Chinese supplier, Binzhou Futian Biology Technology Co. Ltd., had tested positive for melamine. Unlike the other white-colored bags in that shipment, the bag in question was pink and had the word “melamine” stenciled upon it. Wilbur-Ellis separated that bag and quarantined the entire shipment for further testing and since that time, no further deliveries of rice protein concentrate have been made. Samples from the white bags tested negative for melamine. However, subsequent and potentially more sensitive tests by the FDA came back positive for melamine, leading Wilbur-Ellis to voluntarily issue the recall.

Wilbur-Ellis began importing rice protein concentrate from Binzhou Futian Biology Technology in July 2006. A total of 14 containers holding 336 metric tons of rice protein concentrate were sent from Futian to Wilbur-Ellis. Wilbur-Ellis has distributed 155 metric tons to date.

On Monday (April 16), a pet food distributor issued a voluntary recall of its pet food, believing the source of contamination to be rice protein concentrate supplied by Wilbur-Ellis. As an additional precaution, Wilbur-Ellis is urging all pet food manufacturers using rice protein concentrate supplied through Wilbur-Ellis to recall any pet food that may be on supermarket shelves.

Consumers with questions about the pet food they use should visit the FDA Web site at www.fda.gov.

15. Ally says:

Re: Dr. Fosters & Smith Lifestage Select® Senior Dog Formula Multivitamins

For anyone interested, I just spoke to a Dr. Foster’s & Smith representative (”Jenny”) to ask about these vitamins. I recalled seeing someone post about these elsewhere as the ingredients list contains:

rice and other protein chelates (mineral chelates)

They also have soybean oils. Per their representative, their current “cautionary recall” does not include any of their other products. I specifically asked about these vitamins because I ‘ve been giving them to my 13 1/2 yr. old lab. I was told I could return them for reimbursement at any time, for any reason.

I also suggested they get their recall notice on their website on their front page or at least more visible. As it is, you have to search half way down the left menu to get to the link. I have been a customer of this company for over 13 years. I have always been happy with their products and return policies. Never once have I had a problem so this came as a complete surprise.

16. Sue J says:

Oh, how absurd. On the day we all found out about the location of the mystery undisclosed companies that got the rice protein, several people identified Dr Foster and Smith as the most likely company in NY. (just look in prior story comments and in the forum threads). If we, the readers could figure it out, certainly THEY could. They may not have received an official letter until today, but it is DOUBTLESS that they had the required information a week ago to figure this out.

17. purringfur says:

I’ll never recommend their food OR ANY PRODUCTS IN THEIR PET ACCESSORIES CATALOG! I bought a dog bed from them once. I’ll never patronize Drs. Foster & Smith again. Really. They just knew today?

Wilbur-Ellis (not that I hold any warm fuzzy feeling toward them by any means) was quoted as asking the 5 companies who bought their rice protein concentrate to reveal themselves and to do a recall DAYS AGO. I’m sure someone can find the post.

They knew what ingredients were in the food, and they knew who their supplier was. Or were they trying to squeak out every last cent before moving on their own time frame to do the recall since the FDA allows companies to do so?

18. Joan Steik says:

Natura - http://www.naturapet.com/tools.....ngredients

Describe the grade of meat used in your natural dog food and cat food.
    It’s human grade, USDA approved, from smaller regional and local suppliers. Within each Natura formula, at least 80% of the protein comes from high quality animal sources.

Incorporated in 1921, Wilbur-Ellis Company has grown to become a leading international marketer and distributor of agricultural and industrial products, with sales exceeding $1.710 billion in 2006. The Company remains privately held, with ownership concentrated primarily within the founding family.

To support our diverse customer base, we maintain a multinational marketing/distribution network of offices, formulation facilities, retail centers, and warehouses strategically located throughout North America and the Pacific Rim. Whether transporting fertilizers from warehouses to fields, supplying chemicals to paint factories in Asia, or exporting compressed hay bales from the Western United States and Canada to Japan, we have the technology, experience, integrity, and relationships to deliver what we promise.

20. KatieKat says:

Another company off my list!

21. Grace says:

Did any of you notice that just LAST NIGHT Fosters & Smith had flagged their dry foods as backordered?!!!!! What a crock of sh**!

I just wrote them and told them they’d lost a customer. I should point out that I have FOURTEEN PETS under my direct care and I buy and send food to a relative FIVE BIG DOGS.

Please remind them of how much you’ve purchased from them over the years.

$$$$ seems to be the only way to get through to these companies.

22. Alice says:

There are many commercial pet foods that need to be ashamed for
    their actions. Today, Americans are constantly being mislead by clever
    marketing tactics regarding which food is best for their pet. It’s time to
    stop trusting the well being of your pet to just anyone who makes a pet
    food. I am so glad I don’t have to worry about what I am feeding my 3 dogs.

23. Kiki says:

4D animal can come from a human grade facility. here is what you ask them.

Ask about 4D animal, rendered animal, and do they use muscle/flesh protein.

80% of protein comes from high quality animal sources does not mean fit for human consumption muscle/flesh protein. Fromm’s is specific about using muscle protein that is fit for human consumption (not just saying from a human grade facility). There is a slight wording difference that makes ALL the difference in the world.

24. KatieKat says:

Laurie, Natures Variety, they offer RAW and grain free kibble as well as really good canned stuff. I picked up a bag of the RAW medalions to try on my crew, if they end up liking it, I would maybe venture into all RAW and learning to make it myself. I never want to have to totally rely on a Pet food manufacturer again!

25. Kiki says:

Fromms dry only

Honest kitchen

These are the only 2 so far that have passed my wording test. This simply means as Alice astutely put it - they are cleverly trying to get you to buy their inferior disgusting pet food. Food you would never feed your pets if you knew what was in it. If it’s not good enough for me to eat it, then it’s not good enough for my dogs. period.

26. Gary says:

Seems once a recall is issued, everyone that does not come forth by a certain time, say within 3 days, is fined per day.

Of course they all knew the first day where all their import grain was. But they probably knew how useless the FDA is and took the chance they wouldn’t be found out.

It’s unbelievable how lax and stupid the laws are in this country, what a comedy of errors.

Yep, we will get hit again by the terrorists, I’m sure of it. And it will be found out, Homeland Stupidity was a total waste of money and joke.

27. Kiki says:

Homeland Stupidity - lol…

Are we forgetting about human food not being safe either? By the way, since when did “tuna in water” become tuna in vegetable broth made of SOY? Go look!

29. Laurie says:

Kiki-
    Thank you for your patience in helping me understand all this.

I was just happy the food I bought didnt say “by-product”, but now you’re saying even if it says chicken, turkey, etc. it could be an unhealthy part of the animal?

tuna in water now too?!

lol!~ didn’t read those labels when I cleared out my pantry. geeze . . .

31. Kiki says:

Laurie,

Just ask if they use muscle/flesh protein exclusively. If they don’t, then they use everything else (which is a much lower quality protein, by the way), then they probably also render the animal parts, which effectively destroys nutrients. That’s why they often have to add back in B vitamins and amino acids. If the protein comes from muscle meat, there would be no reason to add in B vitamins and amini acids.

32. Kiki says:

“By the way, since when did “tuna in water” become tuna in vegetable broth made of SOY? Go look!”

OH MY GOD…I better go look. That is very scary….

33. Kim says:

Kiki - thanks for that info. Every day I learn more, it just gets worse and worse.

34. Joan Steik says:

Kiki Says: 4D animal can come from a human grade facility. here is what you ask them.

Ask about 4D animal, rendered animal, and do they use muscle/flesh protein.

Thanks Kiki, I have sent a message to them asking about this information.
    I really thought that I was feeding a great product.

35. Kiki says:

Helen: is this normal starkist tuna type of tuna?

36. Java's Mom says:

So, with Foster and Smith, does that make up the final and fifth one for Wilbur-Ellis? Now all we have to do is wait for the FDA to release the name of the second company that imported contaminated rice protein concentrate and start ticking off THOSE companies. Glad to see we’re making “so much” headway– and SPEEDY, too!

37. Kiki says:

No Problem: Here’s a true story. Senator Durbin spoke about his work in a human grade slaughterhouse when he was a teen and right on TV, he said he could not even tell people what he saw go into the pet food pile (it was so disgusting). That’s because in the human grade facilities, anything is not fit for human consumption, goes into the pet food pile. That includes dead, dying, disables, and diseased cows, chickens, pigs, etc… Anything that IS fit for human consumption (eg. muscle meat) would be used for human consumption - they would never waste good meat on pet food. That’s why it is close to impossible to find a pet food company that actually uses fit for human consumption muscle protein for pet food. It IS superior though and your animals will be happier - real beef, chicken, pork (but not from the tainted batch)…

38. xyz says:

If you can’t dazzle ‘um with brains baffle ‘um with bull****.

39. dm says:

aw $hit. My son and I eat tuna fish in water every single day. I am so fed up. I just checked, both Bumble Bee and Starkist….vegetable broth and soy. Son of a Bee.

40. Stephanie says:

Does anybody know which company in Utah recieved the tainted protein. There have been 5 recalls so far…
    Blue Buffalo - Kansas
    Royal Canin - Missouri - Is that right?
    Diamond (Natural Balance) - Missouri?
    Smartpack - NY (Chenango Valley)
    Drs. Foster & Smith - NY (Chenango Valley)

Was the Diamond plant in Utah? I am only counting 4 companies if Smartpack and Drs. Foster and Smith are made by Chenango.

41. Karen says:

Joan Steik:
    Please let us know when you receive an answer. Alot of people have switched to Natura recently.
    Thanks!!!

Kiki:

Yes, normal human canned tuna…all the brands, including reduced sodium. The super low sodium ones contain only tuna and water, but all the regular ones marked “Tuna in Water” have soy based broth instead of water now. Don’t know when this happened, but I am livid. And why is no one talking about soy? I am 100% positive that all the “soy protein concentrate” is as poisonous as the rest of the gluten family.

43. Kim says:

“They would never waste good meat on pet food”.

CRAP. It makes sense though (from their point of view).

44. Stephanie says:

Also, Smartpack which is manufactured by Chenango Valley knew and recalled supposedly on Friday April 20, but Foster and Smith just found out. There food is also manufactured by Chenango Valley.

45. KatieKat says:

Something just hit me, there are still 2 manufacturers for Missouri that have not been indentified yet. I bet this recall is from the second shipment of RPC that was recalled…..

46. Kiki says:

Helen, They should have the can say tuna in vegetable broth and soy right on the front - not tuna and water (unless it IS tuna and water) - I’m livid and nervous…

Kiki are you serious about Merrick telling on the ohone they use 4d and rendered animals. I do not use the beef ones because of those rumors, but how do you render a fish??????????????Not trying to be smart a** need to be educated. For 2 days I had switched to Solid Gold Mixed Tuna and found out it cmae from Thailand now I am back to Merrick New England Boil. Running out of option here, I will not use Nutra, INNOVA, Calf Natural wet because the stuff on the shelves is still coming form Menu and was warned by my vet to avaoid all Menu products. So now what?

I posted earlier I finally got thru to the FDA today to report my tainted food and they asked me if it was wheat, rice or soy based………found that interesting. Just my luck it had Wheat gluten and SPC in it.

48. allie says:

I’m all for giving my pets high-quality food, but why, exactly, is it necessary to give them human-grade food? cats eat bugs, rodents, and birds pretty much whole, it’s not like they carve them up and eat the breasts and drumsticks. also, I dunno about your cats, but mine regularly lick their own butts, and sometimes each other’s.

switching to a holistic brand with more real meat and less filler is one thing, but I don’t think it’s necessary that they dine on poached chicken and beef tenderloin every night.

just my opinion.

49. Kiki says:

Lorie, I can’t comment on the fish protein, but if you know anything about farm raised fish - they eat all the grain that is currently being recalled - and they are incredibly sick and disgusting. Manufacturers use coloring to make them look healthy. Farm raised fish IS beyond disgusting.

In a nutshell, our food supply is disgusting.

50. Laurie says:

I have heard the stories of the bad meat going into the pet food pile, but I thought they had to call that “by-product”?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 » Show All