Drs. Fosters & Smith Products Recalled Due to Rice Protein

Another pet food maker — Drs. Fosters & Smith — is issuing a recall due to the use of Wilbur-Ellis rice protein (scroll down their page to view the notice).

The recalled products are:

• Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Dog Food
  • Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Cat Food

Oddly, the manufacturer says they received the recall advice today from Wilbur-Ellis, not last week as we have heard.

Rice protein concentrate has been indicated as a possible source of melamine recently found in pet food products. As a precautionary measure Wilbur-Ellis company, the supplier of rice protein concentrate, is voluntarily recalling all lots of rice protein concentrate. We received notification from the manufacturer today, April 25, 2007, suggesting we issue a precautionary recall.

Full recall notice after the jump.

(Thanks Patti)

Precautionary Rice Protein Recall: Drs. Foster & Smith Adult Dry Lite Dog and Adult Dry Lite Cat Food

Two of our products: Adult Lite Dry Dog (Item #’s 14178, 14179, 14180, 14262, 14263) and Adult Lite Dry Cat foods (Item #’s 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865) contain rice protein concentrate. Only the Adult Lite Dry Dog and Adult Lite Dry Cat foods contain rice protein concentrate.

Preliminary test results for melamine contamination have been negative. Final test results from the FDA are expected within two weeks. Please check the Adult Lite Dry Dog food or the Adult Lite Dry Cat food product pages on the DrsFosterSmith.com website for any updates.

If your pet has consumed either the Adult Lite Dry Dog food or the Adult Lite Dry Cat food and shows signs of illness (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting), you should consult with your veterinarian immediately.

As part of this precautionary recall Drs. Foster & Smith requests that customers discontinue feeding the following products purchased during the periods listed, until all FDA testing is complete:

• Adult Lite Dry Dog food item numbers 14180, 14262, 14263, or Adult Lite Dry Cat food item numbers 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865 purchased between January 22, 2007 and April 19th
  • Adult Lite Dry Dog food item numbers 14178 and 14179 purchased between February 2, 2007 and April 19, 2007
  • Only Adult Lite Dry Dog (Item #’s 14178, 14179, 14180, 14262, 14263) and Adult Dry Lite Cat foods (Item #’s 12855, 12856, 13864, 13865) are included in this precautionary recall.

The health and well being of your pet is always important to us, so as part of this precautionary recall:

• Drs. Foster & Smith is contacting all customers who have purchased these items during this period.
  • These products are being reformulated to eliminate rice protein concentrate. The new formulation should be available by mid-May.
  • Please call Customer Service at 1-800-239-7121 between 9:00 am and 7:00 pm CST or email CustomerService@DrsFosterSmith.com if you have questions.
  • None of our other Drs. Foster & Smith foods contain the ingredients in question.

255 Responses to “Drs. Fosters & Smith Products Recalled Due to Rice Protein”

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 » Show All

1. Bonnie says:

Sharon .. plz cook your cat chicken breasts … and buy sardines and plain yougart .. baby food chicken and beef are great too … try and get something else for her food for now ..

2. Val says:

Lee- I am worried that what you say is true!
    I switched all my critters, 9 dogs and 2 kittens from Pro Plan and the difference is amazing now! Before they hardly ate, listless and some bile, none since switching. I noticed they were not eating well and switched, sure am glad I did. Wheat gluten and Corn gluten meal in all of their foods. btw I switched to Eagle Pack Holistic Select and Felidae dry and Tiki Cat canned, plus lots of extra home cooking. I’m very happy with the results and the doggies are happier now. The kittens were eating 9-Lives wet and started to barf bile before too.
    I feel so bad for folks that have sick pets or lost them :-(
    ——————————————————
    “but I really think that the fancy feast was what made her sick . I tried to contact the fda but could never get in touch with them I saved all of the food with wheat gluten in it. I wanted to get it tested because I really think that purina lied.”

3. Kiki says:

Elizabeth, I am completely with you. I feel the entire crisis has been mis-handled - from the pet manufacturers and FDA all the way to the media and those on the hill who are charged with investigating. It is as bad as Katrina. Just goes to show that if this country ever faced a catastrophic event such as mass human poisoning or bioterrorism, a nuclear attack, or any such thing, it would truly be a nightmare of all nightmares…Many of us have come to the realization that our country is simply not capable of protecting us from harm (we can’t even successfully prosecute offensive wars against 3rd world countries (Korea, Vietnam, Iraq). God Help Us…

4. chloe says:

when are the people going to take responsibitiy for their action on bad petfood?
    god forbid a little kid accidental eat bad petfood that been recall will they then take responsibitiy for their action?
    what these people don’t know or don’t care that pet are part of family that own them.

to people who lose their sweet little furbabies and the one that are sick bad petfood that been recall
    I am so so sorry for your lose of your cats and dog.
    is my catfood safe? they eat specialkitty dry catfood and purina cat chow are they for my cats?

Getting ready to go to work, I think I have been late everyday since this whole thing started……………..*sigh*

Not to mention sleeping on the living room floor almost eveynight with 2 still not quite right cat after FF disaster.

Kiki,

Can you give me play by play about Honest Kitchen which flavor if more that one, are you cooking it etc….

This Merrick stuff is started to gross me out now tha I read alot of these comments.LOL

Anymore I cannot tell if my cats are being effect by poisons ore by indigestion from all the food swapping geez…..Geisha ended up with meesy BM’s by scarfing down almost 2 handfuls of Felidae my fault gave to much for first exposure.

6. Glenda says:

Are any pet foods safe? i am tired of changing brands after feeding for a few days to find out its another recall..i recently called Lassie Natural Way brand dog foods and they took time to talk to me and assure me the rice they use is from within the US and no glutens or concentrates are used in their foods…relief i sure hope so…i am now cooking wet foods for dogs which i must say they love…check out this site….http://www.lassie.com/naturalway/natural-way-flash.htm…

7. CathyA says:

I’ve been raw feeding for a number of years. I don’t use grain fed or organic because I can’t afford it. I sent my elderly cat over the bridge at 20.5 yrs and she’d been in moderate renal failure the last 2 yrs. For those of you thinking about raw and are nervous about it, you can cook the food and add a calcium supplement. The important thing is to not forget the calcium. There are a number of ways to feed your animals. There is NO one right way. A good page for dogs with lots of references is www.dogaware.com I’ve been a member of K9Nutrition at Yahoo for years. All types of feeding are addressed here. If your dog has kidney problems I’d recommend K9Kidney, also a Yahoo group. For cats with kidney problems, there’s a Feline CRF group, can’t remember the url, maybe someone can post it. I used to belong to Holisticat. They were more focused on raw, don’t know about now. You can read their archives.

My main point is that if you’re nervous about raw on top of all this other stuff going on, it might not be worth it to add to your stress. Start somewhere. Feeding your pet is not a religion. Nor is it rocket science. But you do have to pay attention to what you’re doing and spend a little time reading. Do what you’re comfortable with.

The main benefit, for me, is knowing exactly what goes into that bowl of food. Someone made a comment about using organs instead of liver. You can add organ meat, but liver should comprise about 10% of the meat. They need the iron and B vitamins from the liver.

8. Chris says:

I highly recommend feeding products manufactured by Champion Pet foods-www.championpetfoods.com These include Orijen, Grain-Free for dogs and cats, as well as their Acana line of foods. Made in Canada, using human-grade Canadian products, independently manufactured by the company itself, not outsourced.
    As many of you are aware, the majority of pet food recalls over the past 10 years have been due to contaminated grains/grain glutens. Educating our clients about the benefits of feeding grain-free has been my passion all along, but even more so now with all that is currently going on in the industry. Human-grade quality ingredients with No corn, no wheat, no rice, no glutens=no worries.
    Just thought I’d share this as I see Orijen hasn’t been mentioned in previous posts so perhaps readers aren’t aware of this product option.
    Chris
    Creature Comfort Pet Emporium

9. Garyn says:

Cathy very nice post. I agree with what you said except about the liver. Liver is organ just like kidney is organ. They all have their benefits. As long as “offal” (any internal organ) makes up the 10% (I do 5%) it doesn’t matter which organ. But as with everything, variey of organs is the best over time. I know there are many different schools of thought. But I don’t agree that liver every day is needed. In fact any one thing every single day isn’t optimal. You could use kidney instead.. and liver the next day and spleen etc. Just like beef every day is not good. Variety over time is my mantra. :-)

10. Rachel says:

I too am appalled by this - I learened about the Merrick issue too, them owning a rendering plant plus a pet food plant - how conveniant!

What does everyone think of the Wellness brands, it is what I switched my dogs to because a month or so ago when I was reading the lables my Nutro puppy food did not have Wheat Gluten but it had Rice Gluten and I thought - that is a little too similar so I switched them.

Any thoughts on Wellness??

11. Kiki says:

Lorie,

I’ll do you one better. Here is a PDF I found which is a qualitative study of ALL pet food companies in the USA. The topic is cranberries as an ingredient, but the paper has a WEALTH of very interesting information on the pet food industry. It also includes the names, addresses, phone numbers, philosophies/background and website of each pet food company in the USA and which brands they produce. I’ve been reading it all morning - very interesting and I will be making a few phone calls myself to a number of the companies.

12. glenda says:

thanks Chris for the heads up about Orijen checked out and a local store carries it..will be changing brands again

13. Kiki says:

More info on the pet food industry

14. Chris says:

I have been feeding Innova for 5 years to 5 dogs with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I also mix with canned foods by Merrick, Evangers, Innova, Eagle Pack, and Wellness…no issues. My dogs are all extremely healthy and active. On nights I’m tired…a little too much so but I’m thrilled their happy. I have a golden that barely sheds, and 3 out of the other 4 I would say don’t shed but we know all dogs shed. Good nutrition is the key. The foods available today have come a long way. Remember when Alpo had horsemeat in cans for dogs. I do!!

I think that every dog or cat that vomits now or dies during the next few months will all be blamed on this food scare. We need to realize that even without this recall dogs and cats get sick and die. It’s a fact of life. Our babies are not going to be with us forever. How I wish they would be but it’s not going to happen.

I know everyone is in a panic and this recall is sickening. We have to realize that we would not eat if we knew what went on in a USDA plant for humans. I’m sure there are rendered meats in our foods we just don’t know about it.

My suggestion is be vigilante in what you feed your pets, read labels. Remember that not everything with wheat, corn or soy is going to kill your pet or you.

Remember that people got sick on vegetables due to the fact that farm workers were defecating in the fields, vegetables were picked and shipped to our tables to eat. If you think things are better for pet foods your wrong. But I do think the foods out there today are far superior than 10 years ago.

So foods I still trust:
    Innova (Natura)
    Eagle Pack
    Evangers
    Wellness
    Nature’s Variety
    Natural Balance - yes, they had recently changed their venison formula if they hadn’t they wouldn’t have any problems.
    Newman’s Own

So be alert but don’t get caught up in the hysteria. Be vigilant not a vigilante.

I pray that all are pets are safe and that this comes to an end soon!

15. Chris says:

Also remember that the constant changing of foods can cause runs and vomiting if done too quickly or the food just doesn’t sit well with your pet. It does not mean the food is not good and is killing your pet. It could be that your pet just can’t tolerate it.

Good luck everyone!

Chris,

I am the perfect example of changing to quickly twice now I have tried to feed y olesl Topaz Felidae and 2 or 3 pieces into she gags and stops I think it is the Kelp, the little one Geisha gobbled up 2 huge handfuls right off the bat and had the runs all day yesterday. Her might be from the kelp also god knows they have never been xposed to kelp before all this started.

I think I am going to pick up some Honest Kitchen prowl on the way home (No Kelp) and some Aunt Jeni’s raw which is locally made in MD, the cat Turkey flavor does not contain kelp the other 4 flavors do. Had to call to find that out lady was very nice. trying these 2 since merrick stories are rampant and becoming more and more parinoid every can of the same flavor i open looks different one is runny one is thick one is oily etc……………..plus the sardine chucks are disgusting. New England Boil is the flavor

17. gord says:

the fact that ALL of the pet food companies have had a field day lying or waiting 3 months putting out the recall. well imagine if all the petowners donated $1.00 per pet to take all involved to court for damages and reassurance that this will never happen again, hitting the almighty profit margin is the only thing that they would understand.

18. CathyA says:

Garyn said: But I don’t agree that liver every day is needed.

Didn’t say that. You made it sound as if liver = kidney, which it doesn’t. Having fed frozen chicks to my cats at one time, I’ve noticed that the size of the liver in young birds is huge compared to the size of the liver in a whole chicken. A natural food for cats wouldn’t be a grown up chicken, but a smaller bird. My cats have left various parts of animals on the floor when they eat a mouse, a lizard, etc., but they’ve never left the liver. Mouse kidneys - oh yes, tiny as they are, they spit them out. Adding to food once a week at 10% isn’t enough. B vitamins are crucial for just about every metabolic process in the body. I’d really like to add a B50 cap to the cats food, but they hate the smell, so liver it is. That’s my philosophy anyway for cats as I feed them a complete meal in each bowl. They just aren’t interested in balance over time with raw meat parts. I gave up on that a long time ago with 6 cats, each with their own idea about what was acceptable. Balance over time is how my dogs eat, but not the cats. So we’re talking about 2 different ways of feeding. Kidneys in the cat food? Not according to them! Ptui!

19. JH_in_OH says:

All: looking for a great quality non-recalled brand? Try PHD. (I have No financial interest) They do mail order. Just call them and set up auto-ship and it will be mailed to your doorstep as often as you ask. Never had a problem. They’r'e awesome and my dogs are THRIVING. I’ve had lots of friends and family ask me (They know I’m a hardcore allthings dog person and certified canine and equine massage therapist) and they’ve started switching. Undisputable results, too. Their site even has a statement about the food recall. Never have used wheat gluten. Never used Rice protein. YOU supply the protein. It’s amazing.

20. JH_in_OH says:

Oops, forgot to include URL for site: http://www.phdproducts.com/

21. Garyn says:

Cathy you know I didn’t realize you were talking cats!! I would have shut up if I did. I do not know how to feed a cat raw. I was talking dogs!! Sorry. Disregard my post and now I will shut up.

22. May says:

Garyn,

“She was my first cat and I just blew it.”

I’m sorry; please don’t blame yourself. As my vet explained to me, in the wild cats are in the middle of the food chain (both predator and prey). Which means to survive they will very often hide pain or sickness, or just plain hide. Also, barfing up hairballs is normal, and there are any number of other aliments that cats could get (just like us). It is not easy to diagnose a problem just by observing some cats.

My vet (the coolest of cat people) says to bring a cat in if a) it has a sudden change in food, poop, moving, coat condition, etc.; b) It suddenly starts hiding all of the time; or c) it has That-Cat-Ain’t-Right syndrome (that is, trust your gut about your particular cat).

I hope your experience doesn’t put you off adopting other cats.

CathyA: Don’t feel bad about not feeding grain-fed meat. This is another lie from the food industry. Grain fed is easier to accomplish on a factory farm, and the grain is all GM anyway. Grass-fed animals are probably safer, just as good, and the animals are a little more likely not to have been abused or exposed to dangerous chemicals. Pasture cows are more often on family farms where the farmer can’t afford to buy cheap poisonous grain to feed the livestock. Just because giant agri-business corporations tell us grain fed is better so they can charge more for it doesn’t mean it is better or tastier.

24. Kiki says:

Need grassfed beef? - visit americangrassfedbeef.com

25. Kiki says:

Article: whats really in pet food?

26. Kiki says:

As of now, petfoods can state they are “organic” and not actually be certified. This from an article in the April 2007 issue of PetFood Industry.

27. Erin says:

Another great food is FirstMate (www.firstmate.com). With the recall I switched my 5 yr old dog over to their grain-free Potato and Fish. She is very happy with it, and so am I. I really like the fish oils and glucosamine without all the filler. They seem like a really good, west coast company.

28. Carolyn says:

I can tell you it is just a matter o our food as well. As long as we make other countries rich and let ours die off this is what we can expect.
    I personally do not support of feel safe with any dog food manufacturer now after this.
    I will cook for mine. I have been blessed that none of the foods I used have been recalled yet, so no more for me and mine, I don’t like playing with odds stacked against my babies.

29. Carolyn says:

I can tell you it is just a matter of time before our food is affected as well. As long as we make other countries rich and let ours die off this is what we can expect.

Sorry for the earlier typo’s.

30. Vancouver says:

From the Pet Foot Tracker:

Just as an FYI, all their customers were contacted personally by email or by phone. .

They went above and beyond as it turns out.

April 26, 2007 10:51 AM

31. Cheri / Pawsitively Pets says:

Kiki:
    Just to let you know Natura does NOT use the 4 D’s. Their foods are all human grade. Grocery store quality. I sell Innova, Canidae/Felidae, By Nature, By Nature Organic and Nutri Source. Before I take on a food line, I meet with the reps and talk extensively with the companies. Fromm does not meet the quality I expect.

Carolyn: What makes you think our food isn’t already affected?

Carolyn: I did not mean that in a snippy way. I am really paranoid right now.

34. Kiki says:

Hi Cheri:

I bought Karma from Naturapet and when I opened the bag, it was the most horrendous smell and disgusting look I have ever seen in any pet food. I contacted the company and they did not respond appropriately. I contacted the FDA and they took down the information. There were dead fleas in this bag and strange hair. It was gross and not what you would expect from and “organic” product. Anyway, I just found out today that pet foods can use the term “organic” without even being certfied, so I guess I shouldn’t have expected a higher quality product from Karma than anything else that is out there. It was really, really, gross and they wouldn’t even refund my money at the store or speaking on the phone with a rep.

Fromm’s canned food is made in China - I would never buy it. Fromm’s dry food is made with made for human consumption muscle meat, as well as fresh fruits and vegetables - small batches, bought daily, made daily.

It’s important that you tease out the difference between human grade and fit for human consumption muscle meat. The other pet products you mentioned do not use muscle protein. Their products are all rendered, according to them and none use muscle protein.

I just spoke with my vet who has 7 cats. She has begun feeding her cats a USDA Organic pet food called PetGuard. She buys it in a health food store.
    She claimes it is free of all the glutens etc, with excellent ingredients and is not terribly expensive. I visited the site and it looks very good. Her cats have been eating that for 2 weeks, and they are all still healthy. She gives them some Friskies without glutens to keep them from getting bored, just for variety.
    She says she tasted the Petguard herself and it tastes good. I don’t think I will do that.
    She claims her cats like the Petguard. She gives them the turkey and rice and the premium feast flavors. She is using Innova EVO for dry too.

My concern is that on the Petfoodlist, it seems they were unable to get any info at all from the company. All they say is that they aren’t affected by the recall, which is not the same as saying they don’t use Menu.

Does anyone know anything about this food? It certainly looks good from their FAQ. No gmo’s, no ingredients we wouldn’t approve of. I emailed them but haven’t had time for a reply. I am hoping there will be a telephone number on the can. I will try it. I am desperate since the fancy feast with wheat gluten from 1160, has been causing illness and deaths. There is a healthfood store in my town that sells it, so I am hoping it is ok.

I find Friskies questionable because of the by-products, OF COURSE, but had already bought some in desperation this a.m. simply because I haven’t heard of any pets dying after eating it.

36. BW says:

sorry, I didn’t mean for my last post about Petguard to be anonymous.

37. Danielle says:

Sam:
    At least some Artemis dry food is made by Diamond. I can’t recall where I read it, but I think they use two different manufacturers. I was looking at this food because I didn’t think my dogs were liking Canidae after switching from Wellness, until I heard about the Diamond connection and didn’t want to take the risk of cross-contamination. Then the Natural Balance-Diamond rice protein story broke, so I’m glad I didn’t switch. I am feeding Canidae dry and just picked up 2 cases of special ordered Evangers canned (so my dogs better like the damn stuff!).

38. Kiki says:

petfood companies are allowed to use the term “organic” without actually being certified.

39. Kiki says:

Cheri / Pawsitively Pets Says:

I bought Karma from Naturapet and it was rancid and smelly, with dead fleas and hair. Also, there is a difference between human grade and fit for human consumption muscle protein. None of the pet food companies you mentioned could deny (to me) that they used only rendered animal parts.

40. Barb says:

So far I have checked out the ingredients on most of the dog food mentioned. NOT! Is all I can say. I don’t like “whole corn” or “tomatoe pomace” in the ingredients. I will stick to canidae lamb & rice until I can find a better food. I have been adding chicken breasts, potatoes & vegi’s to their food as well. I did buy Evangers wet for the picky doggies. They seem to like the buffalo the best. It’s 100% meat, so you need to add other foods. Just a thought~

41. Cheri / Pawsitively Pets says:

Kiki,
    Look on the bag or can of By Nature Organic. It is certified by Oregon Tilth.

42. teric says:

BW,

Do you know if they make the food or send it out?

43. Barb says:

What is Organic Quinoa?

44. Barb says:

I found out my answer….this is the first ingredient in Petsguard adult dog food.

Pronounced “keen-wa”. Quinoa is a complete protein grain (50% more than wheat), high in lysine, more iron, phosphorus, vitamins A, E and B, and more calcium and fat than other grains.

45. Traci says:

It’s actually not a “grain” but a seed from a plant in the Amaranth family

46. Tom says:

We have feed all four of our dogs california natural dry chicken and rice,we make our own wet food to add to that.All our dogs are as heathy as can be.

47. Phyllis says:

Hi All

For those who need to know for selves as well as pets — Soy interferes with the action of the Thyroid, so please do not use soy products if you have a family history of Hypothryroidism.

This comes from Dr. Andrew Weil’s book on nutrition — The Diet for Optimum Health (or something like that). I was glad to get this information because I had a goiter the size of a rubber ball. I got off the soy, and it helped, but if I used some it would swell up again. My oncologist did not even know this!!

48. Phyllis says:

Sandy — Have your cats ever looked at their canned food and then tried to cover it up by scraping the floor BEFROE they eat it? Mine have. Next time that happens, it goes back.

49. Diane says:

If you want to read more about Fromm’s Family Foods and the idiocy of feeding your pet with a food which not only uses ingredients, including meat, presumably GROWN in China but MANUFACTURED there as well.

Go to the Itchmo forums at http://64.79.216.38/~itchmo/forums/

You will have to login or register. Go down to PET HEALTH QUESTIONS and then PROBLEMS WITH YOUR PET FOOD.

50. Mary says:

I called DFS yesterday to ask if the RPC is the same as the brown rice in their dry & wet foods. After 15 minutes on the phone, and being told many times the wet cat food was not included in the recall, she finally said these are 2 different products. I’m not convinced. My cats loved the first 12 cans of their regular wet food I got. However, they mostly will not eat any of the 24 cans I got earlier this month. I’m not using it for now. Just sticking with 6 flavors of FF. Does anyone know if the brown rice could be the same as RPC?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 » Show All